On Curating a Church Library




As I'm just getting started as librarian for my church, I've been contemplating what exactly it is I will be doing. 

Besides the weekly tasks of reshelving returned books and collecting the library cards for checked out items (our church library is open pretty much any time the church is open), I'm also expected to choose which books to add to our library collection. 

As Church Librarian, I will be the primary curator of materials for the edification of our congregation. In regards to our fiction collection, I will be a "Story Steward." (I love this term which I heard a couple years ago on an episode of the Fantastical Truth podcast). Careful curation for our collection is necessary. A church library is not a replacement for the local public library system. There is a wonderful selection of both Christian books and classics available there. 

Here is my current list of criteria questions I will use to determine whether to consider adding an item to our church library shelves:
  • Do we have room for it? 
    • At some point our bookshelves will be full. We must only choose the best materials for our church library.
  • Is it from a Christian publisher (or overtly Christian if self-published)?
    • e.g. Many good classics will still not be added because they don't meet this criterion.
  • Do the Christian beliefs in the book align with our church's beliefs? 
    • If not, then it's an automatic no. Unfortunately even Christian-published books may have unsound doctrines or false teachings in them. We should always read with discernment! Even when reading Christian fiction!
  • If a donated item isn't new, is it in Very Good or Like New condition?
    • Like New = no damage, no writing inside 
    • Very Good = gently used, a name may be written inside the front cover where it can be covered up, no damage to spine or covers, no other damage
    • Note: donated books for FBC must meet all the above criteria as well, so if in doubt, please ask before donating.
I will update or revisit this list if/when it changes. 

I also plan to post these criteria somewhere in the church library...probably near the donation bin! I have yet to figure out what to do with donated items that do not meet the criteria. I think it will depend on what exactly it is and whether I know who donated the item(s). 

I still have a lot to consider, but this is a good place to start!

Happy reading!
Stephanie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My 2023 5-Star Reads

Equipped for the job